Vitello Tonnato is a type of surf and turf belonging to the north-eastern of Piemonte region. Traditionally, it is served cold, consisting of boiled aromatic veal in thin slices and is served with the sauce of tuna fish with hints of anchovy and caper. This sauce has mayonnaise.
- Start by veal marinating. Place the meat with carrot, celery, onion, cloves, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and salt in a large saucepan. Pour over the meat, the white wine, cover and leave it to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Add to the pan water required and boil with the right heat. Cover and keep simmering for 90 minutes.
- Remove from the liquid the meat and keep it to cool. Do not discard away the liquid, instead strain it and use it with another recipe.
- As the meat is getting cool, prepare the tuna sauce. Place anchovy fillets, capers, tuna and egg yolks in the food processor and for 30 seconds blitz it. Add lemon juice and for next 10 seconds whiz it and then season with black pepper.
- Keep the food processor at low speed; add olive oil and dash finished sauce giving consistency to mayonnaise. Serve sliced beef, garnishing with whole capers.